Different users have access to different functions of the site. While anyone can do most things on the site, including reading and editing, administrators can access a few additional functions.
Administrator abilities Edit
These additional functions are:
- Deleting and undeleting pages, page histories, and uploaded files.
- Locking (protecting) a page so it cannot be edited or renamed by users without admin rights.
- Blocking IP addresses or user names from editing; and very quick "rollback" of undesirable edits.
- Editing the interface by changing system messages and skins.
- Having a coloured name on the list of recent edits.
A bureaucrat can make other users into bureaucrats or administrators on their own wiki. However, he or she is not currently able to remove admin access from any user; please contact one of the community staff if you need that done.
Some Wikia staff members have full access to all Wikia. They will be shown in Special:Listusers/staff on any wiki. Wikia janitors have limited administrator access to all Wikia for cleanup purposes. These users will be shown on Special:Listusers/janitor on any Wikia. Please see the Central Wikia contact page for details on how to contact Wikia staff.
Who are this wiki's administrators? Edit
The "founder" of a wiki, the person who first requested it, is given administrator access automatically. Founders are also given bureaucrat access so they can make any other user on their wiki an administrator or bureaucrat. For a complete list of users with administrator access, see Special:Listusers/sysop.
How do I use administrator powers? Edit
See the administrators' how-to guide for a guide on using admin functions.
Becoming an administrator Edit
To become an admin you have to fill out an RFA at "Shopkins Wiki:Requests for adminship". Before a user can become an administrator they must:
- Have 300 edits or more.
- Have no major recent blocks or bans, preferably not at all.
- Be active on the Wiki at least twice a Wiki, unless a vacation is in place.
- Be social and friendly to everybody.
- Be helpful towards users with questions and those who need help.
- Be able to control and resolve a feud between users if one is started.
- Make sure everybody feels welcome and comfortable on the Wiki and in chat.
- Have a bureaucrat's support.
What can administrators not do? Edit
Administrators should not use their administrator powers to settle editing disputes; for example, to lock a page on a version he or she prefers in an editing dispute that isn't vandalism. Administrator powers should be used to help keep the wiki clear of vandalism, spam, and users who make malicious edits, but not for simple disagreements between users acting in good faith. Ideally an admin shouldn't be considered "in charge". The ideal admin is just someone who is trusted to have a few extra buttons and to use them for the benefit of the Wikia community.